Tuesday, July 11, 2006

milestones

Another post by Kristin... with video!


I thought it about time that I make another appearance ... I've been struggling with finding the time to sit down to write and to find the right words to capture my reactions to our latest milestones.

I've been back at work now for nearly 4 months---I would say that I've "adjusted," but it's really more of an ongoing process rather than a place of arrival. With each milestone, whether it be Fern's birth or the introduction of solid foods (featured here in this video), I find myself both elated and grieving at the same time. Each new step means that she is becoming more independent of me---which is healthy and wonderful, yet a little part of me misses the depth of her dependence (Mom, as you read this, I bet you're thinking, "yeah, imagine how I felt when you moved all the way to California!").

As you can see, Fern throws herself into each experience---as I witness her exuberance, I often find myself thinking, "I want to be like Fern when I grow up!" I am a better person by virtue of being her mom; she's teaching me profound lessons about life and living.


July 11, 2006: First solid food!

File Under : ,