Tuesday, September 26, 2006

my three arms and other mysteries of eating

Kristin was struggling to get Fern into her highchair last night and had some trouble, so she she asked me how I manage it during the day. Highchair resistance is a pretty new thing for Fern, that flailing and stiffening of legs that makes them impossible to thread through the chair's leg holes.

I know I've managed to get her seated despite protests, but I honestly have no idea how. So I just told Kristin that I used "my third arm," and that seemed to work. I'm not exactly sure where that third arm comes from, I probably use that third arm at least a few times a day.

The other food mystery is why the food on the bib or the tray (a small amount of smear and spit) tastes better to Boubaby* than the food in the spoon (an unlimited amount of whatever she wants). It never fails: we're feeding her, but the bib, unless it's absolutely spotless (which is rare, obviously) is the focus of attention. Maybe it's that sugar-flavored detergent we use.


*Yeah, we came up with another nickname. At the wedding, I misheard someone saying something nice about Fern -- to me, it sounded like "caribou." (Beats me what it actually was...) But Caribou... what a cool nickname! So now it's Caribou Baby, or just Boubaby for short. Nom du jour.

If you're keeping score, then, it's: Fern Bean Cariboubaby Effie Elena. I think I might have left one out, too.

Related Photos on Flickr :
File Under :